2010/5/11 Yadu Nand <yadudoc1...@gmail.com>:
> I do not really understand where is the difficulty in usability.There two
> alternative ways I use

That is exactly what we are discussing, why is it not there by default?

> 1. Go add the Disk Mounter applet to the gnome-panel

Why can't it just work, like in many distros? I get a nautilus window
popped up (I can turn the pop up if I want but still a click in places
or Computer windo mounts it) with the drive when I plug it.

> 2. Add the ntfs drive to /etc/fstab. This is easy and there are tons of
> how-tos
> around,so just google for it.

That is exactly what we don't want to do. Why any user has to edit
/etc/fstab manually to get his external drive working?

It would be an option for internal drives, but why do it for external
drives when you don't even know what will be its device name (you
would need to play with udev if you want to do that).

Can someone else try an external ntfs formatted drive in Ubuntu?

--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
(as seen on /.)