On Monday 01 July 2013 07:30 PM, Jaseem Abid wrote:

On Jul 1, 2013 1:09 PM, "Jesse Francis" <atjes...@gmail.com <mailto:atjes...@gmail.com>> wrote:

> Since you are used to Linux, Manjaro will be a better option for you-
> its easy to use, easy to install rolling Arch based distro.

Huge up vote to arch Linux. I have been using it for a few years and I might stick with this for a long time. DE/WM change a lot, settled with i3 after xfce and xmonad.

Biggest
> advantage over Deb based distros is that it got pacman package

Pacman is miles ahead compared to any other package manager.

> manager, with a gui, and packages will be up to date, unlike LMDE
> where you have to wait for another 6 months for major updates. And all
> major DEs are available-from Gnome to Openbox, including Cinnamon and
> Mate. They gave a new face to not that known lightweight desktop
> environments like Openbox, which is worth a try!
> I used to be a debian fan, but pacman first and then Manjaro stole my
> love for apt! I've been using Manjaro for past two months without any
> hassles.

Thank you Jaseem and Jesse for the suggestions. I am already downloading Manjaro. Let me try it. Did start with Redhat and then moved to debian based distros, which I have been using for a long time now. I have used plain debian, ubuntu, mint, knoppix, morphix and several others. Somehow I have got very much used to the debian style of functioning and do love it. Now after a very long time, let me try this new one and see how it is. Heard a lot about the qualities of Arch. But my debian and apt affinity didn't permit me to leave them.

Thanks,
Sasi

--
V. Sasi Kumar
Free Software Foundation of India

"Freedom is the only law". "Freedom Unplugged"

--- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free Software Users Group, Thiruvananthapuram" group.
to ilug-tvm+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.