On 1 July 2013 13:09, Jesse Francis <atjes...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since you are used to Linux, Manjaro will be a better option for you-
> its easy to use, easy to install rolling Arch based distro. Biggest
> advantage over Deb based distros is that it got pacman package
> manager, with a gui, and packages will be up to date, unlike LMDE
> where you have to wait for another 6 months for major updates. And all
> major DEs are available-from Gnome to Openbox, including Cinnamon and
> Mate. They gave a new face to not that known lightweight desktop
> environments like Openbox, which is worth a try!
> I used to be a debian fan, but pacman first and then Manjaro stole my
> love for apt! I've been using Manjaro for past two months without any
> hassles.

I have now installed Manjaro Cinnamon and is using it. But find that I need
to relearn a lot of things. I use Malayalam a lot and I find that setting a
keyboars shortcut for switching keyboard is not very easy. Have failed to
do so till now. And, though pacman may be convenient for many people, I
used to enjoy the "convenience" of using the command line for installing
packages in debian. Just log into one of the consoles as root and type
apt-get install packagename! I hardly used Synaptic.

Well, each distro will have its advantages and disadvantages and they will
be differfent for different people too. Thanks anyway.

Best,
Sasi

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Free
Software Users Group,  Thiruvananthapuram" group.
to ilug-tvm+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com.