> /**   The sad part is that many
>
> > students, who in their college days embrace FOSS, loose interest in it.

because the foobar company which recruits the students has got nothing to do
with FOSS, obviously he/she will loose interest .Most of job related thread
appearing in this mailing list are focusing on experienced guys ,  this
shows that you are not going opportunity to newbies so don't raise this
statement again :P

> I would like quote yet another new method i followed in introducting FOSS
> my relative who is studying 3rd year in mahendra engg college..
> Initially, for the first two days i was introducing him about open source,
> linux, linux commands, web server, html, php, wiki..  at the end of the
> second day, i observed, that he dont understand any of those things..

> Then i made him use some of the basic linux commands, like ls, cd, etc..
 he
> too practiced it..

This statement sound like you are forcing him to learn Linux ,surely this
will not work  if he is not interested he cant learn anything .

> On the third day, i downloaded xxamp stack, and demonstrated how to
> install..  i patiently made him do all those things..  ALAS..  he doesnt
> remember the ls and cd commands that he practiced before..

> I again taught him those, and linked those commands to some practical
> situations, like moving to a particular folder to start xampp server etc.

> Then he learned about how to start xxampp server, ..  till now, he did not
> have any idea of web server..  then i demonstrated, how we can access the
> webserver from browser as localhost..

dont blame him , this is situation of most of the student .they read just to
score marks in examation .our formula for mask is

  mark=subheadings + diagram + presentation .

Mark has got nothing to do with concept .Even the student who scores more
90% dont remember / understand any concepts .Even the staff member who
correct our papers forcing us to use the examples/diagram given in the
prescribed book .

> now he could get some idea..  but not fully..
>
> Then  on the third day i guided him to create a folder for him under
htdocs
> of xampp folder, and then asked to practice some html tags..
>
> He did all those tags, but he could not remember those tags after some
> time..

This shows  that he is not interested .

> he was interested in surfing cricket scores..
>
> Suddenly i got an idea..  I asked him "Do you want to desing your own IPL
> site for displaying cricket score?"  ..
>
> he got interested..  and he slowly started emulating the ipl score site..
>
> As usual, the desired layout did not appear.. but he searched through, and
> started making the site..
>
> Now, i first told how the site should appear, and left some time for him
> think..  then i guided him how to achieve that functionality using html..
> now he easily learned html, how to link multiple pages and then
navigation..

> Next, i taught him PHP, on how we can simplify reduntant html pages using
> server side program..  he then started implementing that..  instead of
> database, i told him initialise data using arrays..
>
> And at last, i taught him how to install some basic open source softwares
> like phpbb forum, wordpress etc.
>
> I am sure, he might not have understood much of the things

obviously , you are dumping too many things on him .how he can learn  HTML ,
php , database in such a short time ? This is the reason why students treat
FOSS as a Alien :P . Dont force them to learn foss rather attract them to
your side .

> new to the technological side.  But the point i want to note is that
> theoritical sessions wont help in any way to the students..  They can just
> know the names, and only if they are interested..
>
> Practical sessions may help a little bit, but one day session may not be
> much useful..
>
> So, what is the solution to break this deadlock.

Ask him whether he is really interested in learning foss . Install a basic
Linux distro like ubuntu ,let him use that for a month or two . Later you
can teach about Linux command , xxamp server , mailing list ,forms etc

--
Thanks a lot