On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Kapil Hari Paranjape <ka...@imsc.res.in>wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Not really! See the recent discussion on sync, fsync and so on on
> LKML or the kernel page of LWN. For example,
>  http://lwn.net/Articles/325420/ says:
>
>  All [sync] does is preƫmpt the normally delayed flushing of dirty blocks
> by
>  expiring them all.  It does *not* write them.  They just go on the
>  various disk queues to be written to each device, but that doesn't get
>  them there -- yet.  Once upon a time, and on some systems still, there
>  was a user process called update(8) that did this sort of thing every 30
>  seconds or so.

Thanks for that Kapil. Good info :)

Then there are "write-caching" disk-controllers etc. ...

> To ensure that data gets written to a removable device you should
> "umount" it. Then wait for the activity light on the device to go off
> (if it is not broken!) before unplugging/remove the device.

I did not know about that.  :)
Anyway, my lights on my thumb drive do not switch off even after an
unmount on gnu/linux or solaris. But they do on the Windows machines
at college. Is there a reason why this happens? Or is it that the lights are
controlled by the usb driver?

---
Ashok `ScriptDevil` Gautham