> The point is that USB is a master/slave protocol, and any
> requests/commands (mounting, unmounting) have to be issued on the
> master -- the host system, and one shouldn't simply unplug the device
> without unmounting it first.

Hi !

But this is a requirement that user will pull out the device any time after
it writes. I understand that it is okay for FAT files system.

I tried it out many times and made sure that the files were written and
could be removed without unmounting because of the "sync" parameter.

Anyway I have no choice and have to live with it. It is an embedded system
with "read only " operating system. You might have seen my earlier post
about auto logging also.  There is no way to unmount the device since there
is no way user can interact with the OS !

Thanks to your suggestions and links.

Cheers

Varadarajan
www.cloudversity.com