> > But this is a requirement that user will pull out the device any time
> after
> > it writes. I understand that it is okay for FAT files system.
>
> It is not. Even in Windows, a popup informs you to not remove devices
> and wait called "Ssfely remove hardware". Basically, that is equivalent
> to flushing out data and unmounting.

Hi !

Yes . I understand . I have no choice. I can only instruct the user to wait
till the lights go off. I have around 50 different makes of compact flash
and usb  thumb drives since my work involves lot of embedded systems- mostly
headless.

I tried with windows - I yank it after the LED stops flickering and give
sufficient time after that. The data is written.

Please understand there is no way to communicate with the system ! I have no
choice - it is an headless embedded system.There is no comfort of
keyboard/mouse/monitor !

If I remove the "sync" parameter in Udev rules , it does not work . But when
I put back the sync parameter , it writes instantly.I do no know about the
kernel stuff so I can  only practically try it out  and seeing it for
myself.  The brand did not make any difference but only the "sync"
parameter.

Actual working is even more complicated . As soon as the USB is inserted it
is automatically mounted and then is mounted with fuse /NFS in a remote
servers also.

As of now it seems to be working well !

Cheers

Varadarajan