On Thursday 24 Dec 2009 6:58:25 pm Mano wrote:
> Apologize to the other members, but could not resist pointing this out:
>
> When I click on lawgon.livejournal.com, I can see half your life history
> (and your email id) listed there!! So, what's the big deal here?

you find a man beaten and dying on the road - so you give him one more shot and
finish him off - anyway he is dying, so what is the big deal there?

some one's privacy is invaded - pictures of him naked are plastered all over
the internet - so you join in the party and paste a few more in flickr - anyway
he is exposed so what is the big deal in exposing him some more?

unfortunately it is a sad part of our society in general and our justice
system in particular that it is usually the victim of the crime who is on
trial when an offence is prosecuted. I know a police station near Chromepet
which refused to accept a burglary complaint saying: 'why did you keep your
jewels in your house - you are at fault!'

and before some one chirps up and says that this is OT to this group, I would
like to point out that freedom and the right to privacy are an integral part
of the free software movement - and the respect to privacy is an integral part
of the war against spammers which we in this list, and every one in all
internet forums is fighting.

I am a little surprised that you agree that the obfuscation done on our list
is insufficient. After all some spammer must have already written a script and
harvested the addresses - so what is the big deal about this?

And I suppose you will say the same about Stallman's campaign against
sacrificing privacy to cloud computing firms, or Behlendorf's campaign against
sacrificing privacy to gmail. Everyone is doing it - so what is the big deal?

--
regards
kg