On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 8:52 PM, balaji sivanath <starbala2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> proprietary software.
> What's the problem... why popularity is not there.. why they are
> hesitating to come into free world

Well, there are different kinds of users,

Desktop users typically choose Windows because
 - it just works with their hardware
 - it comes bundled with the system they bought.
 - they play computer games
 - their favourite software is not in Linux.

Hardware problem is mostly solved in the Linux world, but we need to
spread the awareness.

Corporate Users typically choose Windows because
 - Accountability, Dependability: IBM, Microsoft, Oracle will sell
products with *warranty*, *service*, *support* - which doesn't come
for free even in FOSS world. So, given a choice, they always choose
the one with a bigger brand value.

Big Corporates will always focus on their core business, they can't
setup the IT infrastructure on their own with free software. So they
approach IT vendors - Any kind of company who want to 'computerize'
the business will manage documents - the best software there is to
manage documents is Microsoft Office - the only environment in which
Microsoft Office will run is Microsoft Windows - If anyways you spend
money in installing Microsoft Windows, why waste more money in
installing other free OS with premium support?

Red Hat, Novell and numerous FOSS based consultancy shops are
addressing the above problem.

Anyways, I won't be happy in a world where there is no Windows or Mac
OSX. Competition is healthy.