On Jun 4, Sanjay said :

> At a recent undp seminar where a discussion on open source software was
> held the virtues of linux was discussed and we were all given a cd
> encouraging us to instal it on our pc and migrate to linux as and we
> can. However, I am not in  a position to install the same. Can you give
> me a step by step user friendly instruction please. Please note that I
> am not a technical person. Prof Sanjay.

Hello Sir,

Could you let us know what the name of the CD / Distribution is ? If you
don't know, you can find out by putting the CD into the drive, and
rebooting your system, and from your BIOS making the "First Boot Device"
as CDROM.

Upon Booting, the CD will give you a splash screen with the name and
details of the Linux Distribution. If it is Knoppix (Im assuming its
Knoppix if you got only one CD) then you need not install it. Knoppix is a
Live CD which means that it will run directly off the CD without using any
of your hard disk space. You can use it as a full distribution, and its
got lots of tools and software useful for almost everyone. It also has
OpenOffice, which you can use to do your office work, like word
processing, spreadsheets, presentations etc.

Once you logout of Knoppix and tell it to shut down, it will pop the CD
back out of the drive and upon rebooting you'll get your old operating
system back, absolutely intact !

Do give it a try ! Im confident you will find it easy and comfortable to
use, and will enjoy the experience.

In case the distribution was not Knoppix, then let us know the name and
version number of the distribution so that we can help/guide you
accordingly.

All the best !

regards,
Gami
--
GPG Fingerprint : C588 BB2B 4ABD 988F 30C2  8185 D69F 7DEE B506 EE15