Consider using 'grub' wherein you can specify different kernels for booting. Man pages
for grub should have more info.

If you are able to build kernel without much problem, try building one and boot with
it otherwise, try using the updated kernel. Just copy it to your disk, configure grub
and try it out.

Regards,
Nishi