> >     I need to set up a new Linux server for webhosting. I would like to
get
> > feedback on the different control panels that are available for
webhosting
> > using linux. I would also appreciate any feedback on the various hosting
and
> > colocation facilities. Right now we are considering either colocating a
> > server at VSNL Delhi or getting a dedicated server from Reliance.
> >
> > Ambar
> Our very own Raj Mathur's Vishwakarma is a strong OSS control panel with
> a good LDAP based authentication and cascaded design. Recommended for
> the level of support you'll get on this list or the VK's lists, though
> as Raj would tell you its not for the weak hearted.
It seems that the development on Vishwakarma has stopped :( There seems to
be no change log for some time now..

> Then there is commercial cpanel, ensim, plesk of which cpanel is a
> relatively clean design. ensim is a cross between a VSD/Web-based
> control and difficult to troubleshoot. Plesk is not maintained well.
I have a server running ensim 3.1 currently, and I find that ensim takes up
too much resources on the server. How is cpanel in this regard? I am
thinking about getting cpanel, but their price is quite steep. $599 for 1
year is quite high :(

> There are a couple of others out there on Sourceforge.
I need something for commercial webhosting, are any of these free packages
upto the mark yet?

> About the last point I am not really convinced good hosting is possible
> in India based Data Centers (period)
Any particullar reasons for this? I have had enough with support from remote
datacenters. All of these places tend to charge crazy ammounts for support.
I was thinking about vsnl delhi as they have decent connectivity and I get
physical access. Most of my clients are from India, so access speed will be
better for them thru a datacenter in india. I would like to hear about any
good bad experience with vsnl delhi and reliance for colocation in india.

I have a server hosted at superb, and those guys were recomending a
reinstall for a problem that was solved by giving a proper init command on
the linux boot prompt. Their support is real bad. They charge extra for
setting up a system properly, and then set it up with a kernel that locks up
with moderate load! Please if you are considering a dedicated Linux server
don't go to superb they are big time rip offs :(

Ambar Roy