> Consider using 'grub' wherein you can specify different kernels for
booting. Man pages for grub should have more info.

Can I specify a particullar kernel image for a reboot with grub, so that i
issue a reboot request. In case things don't work properly I ask for a
manual reboot and go back to the older kernel without any issues. I read in
somewhere about being able to do the same with lilo. In any case my server
is running lilo, so I would like to test that out. I can't access this
server's console,

> If you are able to build kernel without much problem, try building one and
boot with it otherwise, try using the updated kernel. Just copy it to your
disk, configure grub and try it out.
I would like not to make a custom kernel, as this is a remote system of
which I don't have full information of the configuration. I just took over
this server and the stability issues are giving me a real headache. Also I
don't have any special drivers that requires a custom kernel.

I guess I will try this out the moment I get some time to test it and then
report on how the upgrade went.

I was just going thru the logs after the last shutdown, and it seems that
just before the system went down, something went wrong with the filesystems,
as sendmail has the following log entries:
**** sendmail[19889]: h5KMekR19889: Losing ./qfh5KMekR19889: savemail panic
**** sendmail[19889]: h5KMekR19889: SYSERR(root): savemail: cannot save
rejected email anywhere

Does anyone have any idea of what can be going wrong?

Ambar
Ambar