I have been trying out openoffice RCs for the last few weeks. Especially the WRiter. Currently I am using 1.1RC4(on both Windoze and Linux), and downloading 1.1RC5(for windoze).

One really amazing feature of Openoffice is integrated export to PDF in three forms - optimize for screen, print and type-quality. No more installing of software like pdfcreator etc. to create PDF files (sometime of not that great quality). OO PDFs look beautiful!

One question that I wanted to ask guys into publishing in this list. How far does a PDF go into helping typesetting people? I mean yesterday I created a small ad in Openoffice for some occasion and exported it into PDF. I was of the impression that this was the input that the printing press people need. However, when I talked with the press guy (albeit a real small timer), he insisted on scanning a printout of the same, or a pagemaker document. Is it just this guys lack of knowledge or does PDFs only helps big time publishing houses?

- Sandip

-- Sandip Bhattacharya http://www.sandipb.net sandip at puroga.com Puroga Technologies Pvt. Ltd. http://www.puroga.com