I fully agree with you Shuvam.
Incidently, I call people who still insist on using 10yr old technology when
new (and sometimes tools are available as not purists but just "old".
This phenomenon outside technical realm is typically termed as "generation
gap" ;-)

In any case, I have done what I should have done in the first place. The
websheet is now currently available from my website at :
http://www.tarunupadhyay.com/writings/sw/Enterprise%20Software%20Stack%20acr
oss%20operating%20Systems.html

(I know somebody is going to balk at the long name - but you are not
supposed to type it, dude)

I invite people to:
A) suggest any services I might have missed (I am sure there are many) which
are widely (defined as >25%) used by enterprise organizations (defined as
>200 employees)
B) I have marked in blue what I think are best product by "PHB-definition".
Please point out any errors there as well. (hint: don't just scream your
dearling product is the best just because you are in love with it or it has
X feature that no other product has. Consider what will *your PHB" boss buy
if he has no technical advise available and infinite money (for software,
not hardware) ).

In general, the idea is to find out where is OSS behind the other commerical
alternatives in providing a complete IT services stack to a medium (or
large) sized enterprise.
So, once, we got this list to near completion and accuracy  - the next step
would be to look at what are the essential features missing in today's
"OSS-stack".

Thanks
Tarun