I think it is the knowledge issue at core with most publishers (most small
time operators in your neighbourhood). I have been insisting with my people
to atleast obtain a PDF file of  the document going to press. For most of
these press people, "What is PDF??". Problem is most of them are using
pirated Adobe Pagemaker software. I think PM5 does not have export to PDF by
default, while PM6.5 has an option, but probably exports the whole file.
Adobe is trying to replace Postscript with PDF, they are talking of  "PDF
ready" printers. As of now, it is a knowledge issue with most small time
operators.

A technical issue which I have faced is generating PDF with Unicode aware
applications having Unicode data in the output:  For eg an OfficeXP Word
file to generate a PDF with embedding of OpenType Fonts. I do not know of
such an issue with OpenOffice. I am using OO1.1RC3, which at least is not
able to input a Unicode Devanagari data, nor able to display a MSWord file /
UTF-8 encoded Devanagari text file.

Finally, whether OO will be able to it or not, the issue is typesetting and
word-processing are two different things. Most of us, the common user, use
word processing. The OO documents need to get into some DTP program, like
Scribus, Karbon14 (Am I right LL, Trehan??). Karbon14 can save the document
as
Adobe Illustrator type, from where can it go to a Pagemaker ??

Anand Shankar