On Fri, 2003-10-31 at 02:04, arvind sinha wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have red had linux 9 installed on an AMD 1700 system.
> The system is working fine including the TV tuner card, CD writer etc. But
> for the life of me, I cant get the UMAX Astraa 2500 USB port scanner to
> work. On connecting the scanner - the linux does not recognise the hardware
> properly and lists it as a Primax scanning device (using hardware browser)
> and also does not load any drivers for it.
> Does any one have any suggestions??????
Checkout the Hardware compatibility list with Redhat first.
Find out which driver module is use by it and load it through
modules.conf.

If hotplug is not working this may be useful for you
http://linux-hotplug.sourceforge.net/kernel/kernel.html#module-scanner

Or perhaps you need to load the USB scanner driver that support a couple
of other UMAX Astra scanners.
-Tarun