hi Ashwin,

for a start there is excellent online courses (2 in number) available on http://www.linux.org/. these are introductory & intermiediate level courses. perhaps you can take a look & see if you find them useful for our meet in Dec.

cheers
Anuj

From: "Ashwin Baindur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [ilugd] The December Meet
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2003 17:26:39 +0530

Dear all,

We hope to make a small beginning in the right direction with regards to the theme-based ILUGD meets. The next meet on 21 Dec 03 Sunday (timings later) at :-
B6, Raksha Bhawan, Man Singh Rd (opposite Indira Kala Kendra) (between Rajpath and Andhra Pradesh Bhawan.

The theme is - Helping GNUbies.

The following are planned :-
* An introductory talk on the Linux Movement.
* To show Linux on a machine and how the utilities can be easily used :- Openoffice.org, xmms,mozilla, evolution, A game.
* To show a simple install of a Linux Distribution.
* To show them some books, resources available so that they are aware.
* Showcase some of the steps of LL's Formula For Freedom based Samadhi or should it be Nirvana?
* To keep a few Knoppix etc CDS available for sale.
* To allow them to meet some of 'the Gang', who can answer some questions.

How all of you can help!
* With ideas. We crystallise by say 01Dec and execute after that.
* With participation - Though I'm a Linux enthusiast, I live in the Windows world of Government - I'm not a day to day user of Linux - though I hope to be in my next posting/appointment. I need help with each aspect of the above.
* With help - Volunteers required please who can showcase the install, the use of the Seven Steps to Samadhi programmes, speak on Newbie topics.
* With resources - For example, I'd appreciate if you can bring some Linux books, CDs or something to the meet to show/inspire/educate the Newbie.
* By passing the word to Newbies about this Golden Opprtunity - if we can get even say a dozen newbies of whom say even three-four get hooked - we'd have achieved success. Anything more than that would be good success, great success or extraordinary success (depending on how many come .AND. become Linux-lovers).

I'd be able to do a little bit of each of the things I've asked help for - but the success of an ILUGD Meet depends on - how many ILUGDites actually come, and as importantly, how many get 'involved' in organising the meet.

Now, dear ILUGDites - the cat is out of the bag. Let's put our words into action and move forward to make the Meet a success.

PS - I promise to deliver on the Jungle Juice ;-) .
Regards, Ashwin