LinuxLingam wrote:
I have a question.. How important is it to bring your whole PC for
installation.. A friend of mine once took his harddisk to some other
guy's place, got Linux installed on it and then put it back in his own
PC. I don't remember the specifics, but the procedure bombed.. (n he now
uses Linux thru a Knoppix (Lify) CD.)

I understand that the correct device drivers won't get installed, but
they can be replaced once the disk is on the correct PC.. Right?

Right. One just has to ensure that kernel can be found by the loader and that the fstab is correct. Thus (in simplified terms) if you install with the hard disk as /dev/hda (primary master) and then attach that hard disk to another PC as primary master. Things should work and you can have an opportunity to load the changed device driver modules, or something like kudzu can do it for you.

A little-bit of tweaking will fix the problem even if you change the location of the hard disk from /dev/hda to say /dev/hdc, but then I guess you want to avoid that scenario in this case.

[snip]

hard-disk installs work if the pc is *identical*. i know vipul had
identical pcs at his site, so he installed a complex bunch of Oses on
one pc, then just did a blind disk to disk copy for all other hard disks
on other pcs in less than 10 minutes each.

:-)
LL

Yeah that was a nice experiance, considering that each of those machines had to get both (the mukt OS) and (a bloated virus with mouse support) installed. dd if=/dev/sourcedisk of=/dev/targetdisk bs=4096 worked peacefully 40 duplications in 3 hours flat! (Considering we used just two stations to replicate)

PS: Yes I know I've been invisible on the list and in meets since long, but it gets a little difficult (to attend meets atleast) given that I seem to be in Mumbai ;-) I hope to become more active on the list atleast, now that I have kind-of-sort-of-maybe settled down here. :-)

BTW: I missed the announcement of the Dec meet. When is it? I might be in Delhi from 19th to 23rd December, any chance the meet falls during this period?

--
Vipul