On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 21:18, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
> Just found the following tag hidden in the source at the bottom of an
> Indiatimes astrology promo mail [snip]

yup! india has a pathetic stance on spyware, privacy issues, email
harvesting, etc. instead of complaining, what can we do? i want to start
doing something proactive about this. the following situations are
pretty serious to us in india who value our privacy:

1) collection of address, email, mobile, res numbers, etc., while
filling up most forms for banks etc. no clear-cut policy with liability
& responsibility on default mentioned.

2) no policy on sale or hire of such databases to third party or
sub-contractors. or to other marketing services.

3) no policy on mobile numbers database at companies.

4) spam, marketing junk material need not have any real responsibility
etc.

5) if you ever ask total strangers who call you on marketing calls,
where they caught hold of your contact details, they refuse to reveal
their source, and promptly hang up.

6) et al.

i wish to do something about this. would ashLin volunteer to help? who
else has some proactive, tangible steps on what we can do that leads to
results?

let's try those steps on indiatimes for a start for the spyware email
they sent sandip.

?
LL