Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
At 2004-02-24 21:58:44 +0530, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

who else has some proactive, tangible steps on what we can do that
leads to results?

I suggest a mass SMS campaign to raise public awareness!

Hmmm... are you sure that would not be spamming ? :-)

Yes I agree with LL that the situation is pretty bad. Only a few days back I got a mail offering me a excel sheet filled with hundreds of email id for only Rs. 1600. Moreover our netas are planning to send out crores of sms messages before the election (Btw I read that in the Slimes [Times] of India, so the truthfulness can be doubted). Another aside, I think these people [netas] would be using some kind of war dialer for sending out SMS, so if anyone here is on the payroll, please share the source code (for educational purposes only :-))

But LL you are a journalist and maybe you can use your columns to spread awarness about this issue. Once the people are warned of the dangers of blatantly giving out email ids and mobile numbers, they would be in a position to make an informed choice.

Regards
--
   / \__
  (    @\___    Raj Shekhar