>>>india has a pathetic stance on spyware, privacy issues, email
harvesting,

Agreed!!!

I just (for the first time in my life --> after signing in yahoo for
more than 7 years) read the Yahoo's Date Protection Policy.

Source: http://privacy.yahoo.com/

Yahoo! takes your privacy seriously. Please read the following to learn
more about our privacy policy...

>>>1) collection of address, email, mobile, res numbers, etc., while
>>>filling up most forms for banks etc. no clear-cut policy with
liability
>>>& responsibility on default mentioned.

This policy covers how Yahoo! treats personal information that Yahoo!
collects and receives, including information related to your past use of
Yahoo! products and services. Personal information is information about
you that is personally identifiable like your name, address, email
address, or phone number, and that is not otherwise publicly available.
This policy does not apply to the practices of companies that Yahoo!
does not own or control or to people that Yahoo! does not employ or
manage.

>>>2) no policy on sale or hire of such databases to third party or
>>>sub-contractors. or to other marketing services.

Yahoo! does not rent, sell, or share personal information about you with
other people or nonaffiliated companies except to provide products or
services you've requested, when we have your permission, or under the
following circumstances:
We provide the information to trusted partners who work on behalf of or
with Yahoo! under confidentiality agreements. These companies may use
your personal information to help Yahoo! communicate with you about
offers from Yahoo! and our marketing partners. However, these companies
do not have any independent right to share this information.

>>>4) spam, marketing junk material need not have any real
responsibility

Yahoo! uses information for the following general purposes: to customize
the advertising and content you see, fulfill your requests for products
and services, improve our services, contact you, conduct research, and
provide anonymous reporting for internal and external clients.

>>>5) if you ever ask total strangers who call you on marketing calls,
>>>where they caught hold of your contact details, they refuse to reveal
>>>their source, and promptly hang up.

DO we really care to cross check or try to become so reactive that we
can find the root cause for it other than just banging on the poor
fellow???
Do we care to read all this "GYAN" written about the privacy before
actually signing in or filling any form???
I couldn't find even a drop of it on Indiatimes...If any one finds it
plz do let me know)

Are we *really* willing to stop using there services just because they
don't have any defined Data Protection Policy for there customers???

>>>I wish to do something about this. Who else has some proactive,
tangible >>>steps on what we can do that leads to results?

We need to put awareness in the general public that this is harmful and
will cause a slow poison in us. This is for sure that many of us
(including me) care a damm! about it and take it very likely until it
actually irritate us and we start crying and screaming for the procedure
and policy of various companies... :-(

>>>let's try those steps on indiatimes for a start for the spyware email
>>>they sent sandip.

I am there with you will all my TAN, MAN and DHAN... until it actually
affects my job and doesn't involve a Police ruffart in it...
I am scared of police... ;o)