From: "Arjun Asthana" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> What you are talking about is software tech standards, which would be
limited to systems which are capable of  operating  these
technologies/protocols. This way, you would end up leaving out a very large
chunk of software which runs on very small embeded systems, who may them
selves be autonomous in their operations.

> Very large number of mil softwares do not run on processors which can
handle these tech standards. They are designed for single small job.

> I was talking about quality standards by which, the design, testing,
integration and everything else takes place. The software may or may not
follow the tech standards mentioned by you. Your definition will disqualify
almost entire mil aviation software which uses its own protocols and tech
standards.

You are simply quoting the broad principle on which these specifications are
based. (" Mil grade means the software does exactly and only what it is
suppose to do"). And it doesn't takes care of interoperability/compatability
btw.

Let me simplify it for you. Let us say the military buys OS A which does
"exactly and only what it is supposed to do". And it also buys product B
which also does "exactly and only what it is supposed to do". But product B
despite qualifying your broad principle, doesn't runs on OS A. Usually apart
from real time OS/applications concerns, the second factor of major concern
is "will it work with what we already have in place?".

Your deifinition of  "Mil grade means the software does exactly and only
what it is supposed to do" hardly takes compatability into account, does it
?.

>Your definition will disqualify almost entire mil aviation software which
uses its own protocols and tech standards.
Pardon ? how so ? I merely said that US has such and such standard and
*most* of the other countries borrow from what US has so far done(and others
obviously either make their own specifications on the fly). If mil aviation
software has its own standards, then mil grade software would be one which
complied to such protocols and tech standards, correct ?

I was merely saying that your definition of "Mil grade means the software
does exactly and only what it is supposed to do" was incomplete since it
didn't take interoperability into account for example.

As for Vivek's second query about whether linux qualifies, it completely
depends on which military. Several governments have officially adopted linux
and would probably have no qualms adopting it for military usage as it is
posix compliant to a large degree. Some of others make their specifications
on the fly. US DoD required certification. Last I checked Linux was posix
compliant to quite a degree but not certified.

- Abhi

Regards,
Abhi