I have been reading on some of the posts on Military
Grade software, and also the other thread on the
question whether Linux is Military grade. Almost every
one has brought out some definition of the term
"military grade". I find them all to be true only
partially. I won't go into details of what constitutes
military specifications and how they are framed. I
will also not discuss whether the Indian Military has
got any such specifications regarding software. But
let me tell you that the term "military grade" is
normally used in the commercial/corporate world and
not in the Military as such. And it connotes -
ruggedness, robustness, conformance to strict
standards etc.

Some other misgivings - DRDO does not lay out military
specifications. It is the research wing of Defence. It
is not the user.

Certain sections of the Indian Military are
Linux-aware. Some efforts are being made to make use
of Linux in server-end. Where security is the concern,
Trusted Solaris is prefered to Linux. Cost is not the
primary criteria, but solidity and service
availability are.

But things are bound to change, with the 2.6 kernel
and more and more mainline software being available
with stable versions. I believe the ILUG community can
act as a catalyst by arranging
demos/seminars/symposiums targetted at decision-makers
in the Govt./Defence.

-- narsingh