On Mon, 2004-03-29 at 02:03, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:

> I think a better solution would be to hack the kernel on your Fedora box
> in order to transparently remap the UID and GID to those used on the RH8
> system, so that the filesystem permission checks work as you want.

ouch! a) don't know how to do that. b) don't wanna do that 'cause this
is a mission-critical production install for a delicate project that is
time-bound.

> Meanwhile, back in the real world with its sad shortage or psychotropic
> substances, have you considered just using the same UID and GID on both
> installations?

yup. resets and throws back the login screen without errors, when i log
into the distro that has the UID and GID changed. which is why i think
the best thing to do is to log into, say Fedora, change the UID and GID
of the home directory of the other distro which is mounted. do all my
work in peace. and then on logging off, reset the UID and GID to its
original values so that user LL has no problems when logging into RH8.

please guide me how to do this.
thanks

:-)
LL