Raj Mathur wrote:
    sdg> I don't seem to understand what Apple really wants - on one
    sdg> hand it leaves open gaping holes in its DRM scheme[1] - and

Gaping holes? Apple should be credited with giving the least restricted DRM scheme possible for providing content! They are probably the most permissive of all online music players.

Please dont forget that the main problem is not Apple but the Music Industry which will kill this (ITunes) project if they see their music is not being protected adequately.

Not that I am trying to oppose this project - I agree that this project is essential for the use of fair use. If I buy music - I should own it and should have the right to use it in any way for my personal use.

Even though I think judges will take a dim view of our idea of fair use. Conventional market logic (which judges rely on for these cases) says that if you dont agree with Apple's terms - go buy your own music from the music shops.

But my biggest grouse with ITunes is that there is no Linux client - maybe that is a good point to support projects like Fairplay? That sure is mine.

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya
sandip (at) puroga.com

GPG: 51A4 6C57 4BC6 8C82 6A65 AE78 B1A1 2280 A129 0FF3