On Saturday, May 01, 2004 6:25 AM [GMT+0800=SGT],
Deepak Saun <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>          I am a novice in Linux. I only subscribed to this
> mailing list to see what is going on in Linux front and
> definitly I have gained a lot. Thanks for that. Could any of
>          you can help me in this trivial matter? I have PCQ2004
> installed in my PC. Can you tell me whether there is something
> in this distro like Microsoft Loopback Adapter in Windows 2000,
>          for I don't have an ethernet installed.

If you need to have an IP address, but will never listen to it, your
need net/dummy.  You will need to compile the kernel, perhaps.

If 127.0.0.1 will meet your requirements, then you have this already.

> Further I have
> a Smart Link 1900 Internal Modem, which is working very good in
> Windows98 and 2000, but when I tried to install same in Linux,
> it is giving error. Can anyone help.

You need the latest drivers from Smartlink.
ftp://ftp.smlink.com/linux/unsupported/slmodem-2.9.7.tar.gz

Smartlink modems are supported in Linux, the vendor is actively linux
friendly.

--
Sanjeev