Dear Members of the Community

I regret the delay in posting our 'side of the story' w.r.t. Microsoft at
LinuxAsia 07. Here's our attempt...

First--about four years back, when we had just about launched LINUX For
You, I had the opportunity to attend a Bill Gates press conference. I even
got a chance to pose a question. I asked, "What's your strategy for
Linux?" He replied with a naughty smile, "What Linux?" and that was it. I
was left wishing that Linux/OSS would soon grow to a stage where the
strategy question would evoke a more thoughtful reply. Thanks to
determined efforts of the community to promote Linux/OSS and willingness
of the Indian customers to adopt Linux/OSS--the equation has become much
more balanced. When we bagged the Microsoft deal--we knew that it was a
strong acknowledgement of this fact especially w.r.t. India. Hence, we've
always interpreted Microsoft's sponsorship as a strong acknowledgement of
Linux/OSS.

Second--since LA 04, we've been wanting Microsoft to participate in
LinuxAsia. In fact, it did present a couple of talks in the first
LinuxAsia, one of which was very highly attended. But, the next two (LAs)
saw no participation. One of the key goals of LinuxAsia has been to
accelerate the adoption of Linux/OSS amongst customers, and customers like
to hear the stories of both sides. We wanted to tell 'all' stories, but on
a platform where Linux/OSS had an advantage. LA 07--was one such platform.

Third--many of you have questioned--why a non-Linux player should sponsor
an event like LinuxAsia? Multiple reasons...
a) Microsoft, due to its recent Novell deal, has entered the Linux
terrain--though indirectly. Recently, it even sold Novell's Linux'
Virtualisation Support to Walmart as part of a mega deal.
b) Events are sponsored viewing the target audience. We almost had Suzuki
Zen agree to be the biggest sponsor for LinuxAsia--now they dont have much
to do with Linux/OSS, but they certainly find the audience suited for
their marketing efforts. Thus, event sponsorship has a lot to do with the
audience profile. Also, we never expected Microsoft to promote open source
at LA, but by being there and investing in an event that in turn promotes
Linux/OSS--they did end up promoting the cause.

Fourth--so can a Linux/OSS-competitor be allowed to rule the agenda?
No. We worked hard, behind the scenes, with microsoft, to ensure that none
of their messages chided the Linux/OSS philosophy. Where-ever, we felt
that there were chances of a debate, we prepared our teams and some
members of the community to ensure that the Linux/OSS message was put
across strongly. The CXOSummit was a major case in point, where we knew
Frost & Sullivan would table the "TOC study", but advanced preparation and
some great panellists ensured that Linux/OSS emerged stronger--and that
infront of some of the leading CXOs of Delhi. (I hope a few members of the
LUG were there at the CXOsummit, and can share their experience.)

Fifth--so will we have KFC sponsor an all vegetarian's conference?
A very difficult question indeed, especially if one attempts to reply it
with a simple 'yes' or 'no'. But keeping the above points in mind
(especially #1 and #3) , we believed Microsoft's presence helped prove to
the customers that Linux/OSS has gained significant ground. Going by the
audience profile at the CXOSummit--we believe we did manage to get many
non-Linux lovers to listen to the Linux/OSS message--something we had not
achieved in earlier LAs.

Sixth--so why is media saying "Microsoft takes Linux by Strorm"?
Probably because we are not telling the media--the other side of the
story. Probably, because many of us have given up on the media--as one
that  cant be influenced, and instead aee chanelling our energy at easier
targets. Point-to-ponder: Does Microsoft's presence at LA really meant
that it has taken the Linux/OSS industry by storm or is completely
opposite?

Can't we do "+1" for writing letters/emails to such editors--explaining
them the context and requesting them to do a more balanced story?

Our (LINUX For You) strategy has been to be "open" to all views--but be
ready and prepared to push and promote our's and then let the best 'one'
win. And we do believe that Linux/OSS is the 'best' one. What about you?
:-)

Best Wishes!

Rahul Chopra
Member, FOSII & Editor, LINUX For Ypu