Hi Sankarshan,

On 3/27/07, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> So this means that Book ABC will use an unique diagram for Theory 1 and
> book DEF will use another for the same Theory 1 ?

No. Same diagram. Pythagorean theorem is the same in all mathematical
books. But, examples or problem sets that use the pythagorean theorem
is what I am interested in, which is copyright of the author.

> I get that bit perfectly. What is worrisome is what are the consequences
> if you decide to ignore the "All Rights Reserved" bit and just do it ?

As people from the FOSS community we respect copyright, and appreciate
the freedom given by the GPL.

> How does this affect (re)doing examples that compile cleanly in TurboC
> for FOSS bits ?

You are addressing software. I am addressing hardware. That's the difference.

Most of the "programming" projects are problem sets. So, you can
implement the solution in any given language. If it is a totally
different compiler, then yes, syntax would be different and it is mere
porting. Dan Kegel made GNU/Linux patches for Richard Stevens' UNIX
network programming:
http://kegel.com/unpv1/

Software is mathematics. Hardware deals with physical elements of matter. [1]

Regards,

SK

[1] Richard Stallmans' Danger of Software Patents.
http://www.shakthimaan.com/downloads/glv/presentations/rms.danger.of.software.patents.pdf
.

--
Shakthi Kannan