On Wed, 2007-03-28 at 17:16 +0100, Yashpal Nagar wrote:
[...]
> What i want to know here is, as a practice should one go ahead and
> install (on top of RHEL/SUSE) such updates/packages from Fedora or
> Opensuse, whenever they become available? if yes what could happen to
> the server when you apply service packs which lately become available
> from Redhat or Novell, service pack installation would't comlain & run
> with no trouble? if no - then what are the reasons?
[...]

In general, it is not a good idea to mix and match packages, even if
they are from distributions that are apparently related, e.g., RHEL and
Fedora. That is because the two distributions will undoubtedly have a
different set of packages, at different version numbers, and are each
tested with that particular configuration. Mixing them up is inviting
trouble, and I would only do that in a critical situation.

Regards,
Gora