----- Original Message ----
From: Anand Shankar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

It happened to me recently. Was using vsftpd in my intranet on a
Fedora box. Decided to try out Ubuntu-64bit on a new box. So while
formatting the box decided to give /var partition a larger size. To my
horror, when configuring vsftpd on Ubuntu found the default directory
is /home/ftp!!! Now how do I ??? I want to use FDS but my box is
Ubuntu, so should I steal another box for Fedora/FDS sake??

So you feel it is bad that someone set the default as /home/ftp yet you wish to
use /var/ftp or something similar ?

I assume Ubuntu hasn't done anything to vsftpd to not allow you to change the
default configuration. After all this is what freedom is about - isnt it ?
Ubuntu can set the default howsoever they please and you are free to set it to
whatever you please.

As for Enterprise releases I believe they would all conform to the LSB which I
would imagine include standard destination for FTP folder etc.

Mithun