On 3/29/07, Gora Mohanty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In general, it is not a good idea to mix and match packages, even if
> they are from distributions that are apparently related, e.g., RHEL and
> Fedora. That is because the two distributions will undoubtedly have a
> different set of packages, at different version numbers, and are each
> tested with that particular configuration. Mixing them up is inviting
> trouble, and I would only do that in a critical situation.

Thats is one thing which we need to know how to for pushing and
deploying in enterprises.

Eg: One decides to use lets say "Fedora Directory Server", but his
group has internal expertise on Ubuntu. Or the admin might have been
using Apache to host his intranet, found that management decides to
use Open-xchange for a groupware application and thats on Suse. He
will have to for a learning curve finding which location is for
httpd.conf!!

It happened to me recently. Was using vsftpd in my intranet on a
Fedora box. Decided to try out Ubuntu-64bit on a new box. So while
formatting the box decided to give /var partition a larger size. To my
horror, when configuring vsftpd on Ubuntu found the default directory
is /home/ftp!!! Now how do I ??? I want to use FDS but my box is
Ubuntu, so should I steal another box for Fedora/FDS sake??

Is virtualisation an answer??

anand