Kenneth Gonsalves <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On 05-May-07, at 11:31 AM, PJ wrote:
>
> > Anyway, attend the meetings if you have an interest in the
> > reasoning behind
> > ilugd decisions - it's open to all GNU/Linux users, we welcome
> > inputs, and all
> > proposals can be questioned/modified etc.
>
> what about those who object to the name GNU/Linux? are they not
> welcome? And the *bsd people? And those who write OSS on windoze? And
> mac users who write OSS?

Good point Kenneth.

I don't know if the (constitutional type) of rules of ILUGD say that
ILUGD should be about Linux rather than GNU/Linux.

I choose to use the label GNU/Linux (if I can remember to) because for me
the concept of freedom embodied by GNU is more important than the Linux part.
I'm interested in the free as in freedom part of what ILUGD is about. The
impression I get is that ILUGD tends to be heavily focussed on the free as
in freedom part.

So there is indeed a religious bias in ILUGD against *BSD/windOSS/macOSS.

But all kinds of people are welcome to join and change that bias. Just as
the current crew will try and maintain that bias by converting you to the
One True Way ;-)

> > 3. we wanted to move on from the very localised regionalism of
> > Delhi embodied by
> > the "del" part of "freedel". But still acknowledge our regional
> > bias loosely. So
> > we could hold freed in Nepal, freed in Bangalore, freed in Thailand
> > etc. Don't
> > forget, we have "Bangalore chapter" of ILUGD
>
> this is not a good idea. The Indian foss community is very allergic
> to anything that aspires to All India Status.

"anything" is too broad a word, but an excellent point.

The community is rightly allergic about a local linux group trying to get all
India status because a local group can hardly be representative of non-local
groups.

But freed is aimed to be about freedom in the long term. It is not aimed at
being the "linux event organized by ILUGD," although its roots are
acknowledged as being prominently there for now.

Which brings me to this point:

> First establish freedel
> in Delhi - that has not been done yet, then worry about going all
> india.

I disagree. Freedel has been on a reasonable footing so far and has not
been particularly Delhi centric in the talks that were given, though
they were held in Delhi during that phase.

Also, the people behind Freed don't want to focus exclusively on linux per se.
Freed is about the concepts of freedom behind GNU/Linux, free software and
free culture - concepts that are bigger than just Delhi (and linux). This is
reflected in the name change.

> One thing we have learnt in the last 10 years is that the
> strength of the Indian foss community is in the regional bases. We
> must strengthen those.

Yes, the strength of the linux community is anchored in local groups.
But there is a strength in the sharing of ideas behind GNU/linux over
larger regions.

It's the same for freedom.

You apply the ideas locally - but the principles behind them are global.

YMMV
PJ