Anant Narayanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> GPL has redefined the word "freedom". True freedom means that anyone can
> do whatever they want with code. Hence the BSD style licenses are truly
> "free". GPL-like freedom, on the other hand is "forced freedom". Forced
> freedom, IMHO, is as good as no freedom at all.

The GPL compatible licences are designed to preserve freedom for the users.
The BSD style licences have helped Microsoft take away freedom from the users.

Restrictions and rules are generally a bad idea, but if they prevent
worse things happening, then I am convinced that they are justified.

The freedom without rules that you advocate doesn't actually work in
real life.

In real life, Somalia, without a government for about a decade, has had
pockets of thriving free enterprise in a morass of mercenary madness. It
is an excellent indication of the fundamental driving nature behind the
struggle for software freedom.

PJ