Hi,

On 7/25/07, Sharad Birmiwal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I probably didn't mention this but I was looking for a cheap board. I wasn't
> going to go out of the way to pay much for a board.

Ok.

> I wanted to
> write dedicated applications, program the flash, and execute.

If this is what you really want to do then, you do need to get
flash-based development boards. And to get a reasonable good kit, you
need to invest on it. It is not your choice or my choice, but, that is
the way it is in India, currently.

> Any how, if you
> are suggesting using pentiums (which, as far as I understand, you are), what
> can I do with them (insert suggestings here)?

Try to build your own:
* PCI subsystem, and its drivers.
* IDE drivers, and filesystems on IDE/ATA.
* SCSI subsystem.
* USB stack on PCI subsystem.
* Networking stack, and drivers.

These are subsystems, and can be written as firmware. Try to build
demo examples/scenarios with the above. You can learn a lot about
firmware/device driver programming on x86 by implementing these.

> I don't want to boot linux on
> it. And I also don't want to boot any other OS

Ok. Accepted.

You might also want to look at the LinuxBIOS project:
http://linuxbios.org/Welcome_to_LinuxBIOS

> Not sure if this is the right path to take, as I said, I want to be a
> beginner, and I appreciate all advice.

I am happy that you are asking questions.

> Hands on experience?

It depends on what you intend to do with the kit. What is meant by
"hands-on" is getting to understand the hardware, and get real
programming experience on the hardware.

As a student interested into embedded, if you were given a boot-up
code, and were asked to write a minimal PCI sub-system, you will go
ahead and read the PCI specification, understand its existing
implementation, and try to write/strip down existing GPLed version and
test it. And when you complete the task, you would have known
in-and-out of how PCI works. This ability to seek, learn and acquire
knowledge is called education.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan