On 26-Jul-07, at 10:52 AM, Vikas Rawal wrote:

>> why did you choose invenio over dspace? My researches show that
>> dspace is head and shoulders above all the other contenders, and am
>> working on my allergy to java-based software to enable me to
>> install it.
>
> I would like to know more on your comparative evaluation. My
> objectives are quite modest. I would like a setup which allows various
> people to file digital documents into database collections which can
> then be queried and searched. My setup is essentially meant for usage
> within the local network and not really over the internet.

actually i had never heard of invenio. I had compared dspace,
railroad and greenstone. Railroad is dead, greenstone not mature
enough and I had good reports about dspace. Only the java thing was
putting me off. I now see invenio uses python - so i think i will try
it out. It has the disadvantage that it uses mysql instead of
postgres - but that is easily cured by porting it to postgres.

> If you think dspace if "head and shoulders above all the others", I am
> willing to reconsider my decision.

this is based on the experience of the infylug people who have
converted a good part of infosys archives to dspace.

> How easy is it to get it going? Also, can one use mysql as the backend
> rather than postgres?

I have not installed dspace - but I think it is fairly trivial from
what i have seen of the instructions. Postgres is much more suitable
for a mission critical thing like this than mysql. So if you *do* go
in for dspace, stick with postgres. I have practically decided to go
for invenio and port it to postgres.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves