,--[ On Mon, Jul 30, 2007 at 04:00:53PM +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:

| On 30-Jul-07, at 1:55 PM, PJ wrote:
|
| > Since the starcom UT modem I have at the office is redistributed
| > without source
| > access and GPL text, it seems to be the same kind of violation as
| > skype's
| > violation when skype distributed their voip set without source
| > access and GPL
| > text.
|
| if MTNL has not modified the code in the modem, it is under no
| obligation to provide the source or the GPL text

quoting from GPLv2 license[1]:

- -- begin excerpt --
To protect your rights, we need to make restrictions that forbid
anyone to deny you these rights or to ask you to surrender the
rights. These restrictions translate to certain responsibilities for
you if you distribute copies of the software, or if you modify it.

For example, if you distribute copies of such a program, whether
gratis or for a fee, you must give the recipients all the rights that
you have. You must make sure that they, too, receive or can get the
source code. And you must show them these terms so they know their
rights.
- -- end excerpt --