PJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Both promote/sell devices that run an embedded customized linux.
  Which leads me to think,
  "If Airtel/Hutch/IDEA etc sell the Motorola Ming (or any other model with
embedded linux), which I dont think they do, would they be in violation of GPL?
Or would the reseller/retailer/redistributor be in violation (say subhiksha
mobile, or the hotspot etc)."

  Personally, I think that since most of the resellers resell the product in
original box packing (with the exception of some providers who may re-brand it
and hence tinker with the code), they shouldnt be held liable.
  What is also worth thinking about is, if any of the embedded devices with a
non-GPL OS is sold, who pays for the runtime licenses? It is in a majority of
cases, the manufacturer & not the reseller, redistributor etc.

With Warm Regards,
Shivkumar
www.outbackwifi.com