On 7/30/07, Shiv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> PJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Both promote/sell devices that run an embedded customized linux.
>   Which leads me to think,
>   "If Airtel/Hutch/IDEA etc sell the Motorola Ming (or any other model
> with embedded linux), which I dont think they do, would they be in violation
> of GPL? Or would the reseller/retailer/redistributor be in violation (say
> subhiksha mobile, or the hotspot etc)."
>
>   Personally, I think that since most of the resellers resell the product
> in original box packing (with the exception of some providers who may
> re-brand it and hence tinker with the code), they shouldnt be held liable.

The GPL does not deal with manufacture.. It deals specifically with
distribution.. The terms of the license allow you to do anything with the
sources as long as you keep it to yourself.. Hence if you got the modem from
MTNL, it matters little who manufactured it. MTNL has a legal liability to
comply with the terms of the GPL and provide you the sources.

  What is also worth thinking about is, if any of the embedded devices with
> a non-GPL OS is sold, who pays for the runtime licenses? It is in a majority
> of cases, the manufacturer & not the reseller, redistributor etc.

Comparing GPL and with other no-free licenses would be comparing apples with
oranges.. You really cannot generalize like that..

-- Anupam