On Fri, 2007-10-26 at 15:21 +0530, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 26-Oct-07, at 2:06 PM, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:
>
> > Anybody else dismayed by this? Any theories?
>
> heavy handed admin. If you check the two biggest mailing lists in
> India - chennai and mumbai, and you find that there are no
> moderators. Sure, threads go offtopic, flames rage, but there is no
> killjoy to dampen the spark. People are terrified to post here -
> there was even a case where someone asked where the tutorials were
> taking place in freedel and he was told to rtfm. And any suggestion
> for improvement is met with a post from Kishore invoking the
> notorious 'ilugd rule'. Take the latest freedel conference (or the
> previous one) - it was a mega flop. Audience on the second day was
> about 50 (including speakers and volunteers). First day, in each case
> was about 200. OK, lets call it 500. 500 in the capital of the second
> largest country in the world? One reason for poor attendence is that
> it was held in JNU. JNU is an elite institution, and hence not a
> place for FOSS. My experience in the last two years is that elite
> institutions are the last place where you can go for innovative ideas
> and talk about freedom and sharing. Strangely enough, although there
> was a huge debate about where to hold the next ilugd meeting, The
> committee, without any debate, has decided to hold the next edition
> of freedel in JNU - a place without a LUG. RKGIT and JIIT have LUGs -
> and hugely enthusiastic members. So why are they ignored?

Dear Kenneth,
  I was going to ignore this message as part of the normal
flamebait^W banter on this list, but on re-reading your
message, I find the following statement quite disturbing,
and would like to ask for a public clarification.

>                                                       Anyway, as
> far as NRC-FOSS is concerned, we will not send a team to freedel
> unless we are assured of a double digit audience for our talks and
> stalls.
[...]

  Firstly, are you speaking here in an official capacity for
NRC-FOSS, as your message seems to imply? Could you tell us where
you feel that we fell short in our commitments to NRC-FOSS?

  I will ignore the snideness of "a double digit audience", but
I know of no FOSS event that guarantees attendance at any given
talk. Certainly, we gave no assurance of attendance, nor were we
asked about that at any point of time by NRC-FOSS folk. The
NRC-FOSS talk was scheduled on the second day, which sees a
smaller audience at most conferences, at the express request of
Prof. Krishnan. Also, Niyam's talk, which was the last talk in
the main auditorium, as well as the final panel discussion, were
very well-attended. Incidentally, NRC-FOSS was invited to be on
the panel, but could not make it as Prof. Krishnan was unable
to attend at the last minute, and the timing did not fit into
Dr. Srinivasan's flight schedule.

  Given the above, I would appreciate a response as to what we
could have done better in this regard? We would be happy to
welcome NRC-FOSS back to Freed.in 2008, but would like to make
sure that it is out of a desire to be here, and not as some
kind of an onerous obligation.

Regards,
Gora