dear all,
[snip]
> There was recently a
> sprint by the django community. About a 100 people all around the
> world participated. The main group was in Chicago, with other smaller
> groups in other cities and many individuals sitting in their homes.
> It was all done over IRC. IRC can be used in two ways:
>
> 1. Projected on a screen where all the participants can see the
> progress. Incidentally the minutes can also be entered in real time
> on a wiki and projected on the screen. We have successfully
> demonstrated this at our meeting in Chennai (Gora had attended)
>
> 2. If wifi is available, members with laptops can also use IRC.
>[snip]

thanks kenneth for a constructive idea. i personally never approached
the idea of integrating IRC with a live group discussion in the way
you've mentioned. an overhead projector seems to be the key to this
riddle, while live IRC-ing by guys in the room makes it more
interactive. a blog could also work.
nevertheless, some inelegance still exists: what's being said in the
room needs to be typed live, and in realtime speed, so that those
reading the blog or the IRC posts can read and respond in realtime.
tough! inputting snippets or points does not really work too well and
has its own sets of problems.

perhaps integrating IRC with an overhead projector, having it blogged,
*and* having a live web-feed' for those who want to hear the words and
tone-of-voice rather than read the text and try to interpret the tone,
could work.

maybe not.

what are your views, everyone?

we do eventually need to solve this problem so we can always have more
active participation in our public meets, and less carbon-footprints
too.

regards
niyam

niyam bhushan