On 13-Jan-08, at 8:56 AM, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
>> redhat 5 had a package manager - yes, graphical. It had linuxconf -
>> from setting up aliases to ethernet cards, users blah blah. Great
>
> Too bad it does not install on modern day hardware :D Also, you
> seem to
> think Linuxconf from those days was the best way to do things ? I
> haveto
> disagree. Linuxconf was a piece of crap software, badly written and
> hard
> to manage or even hack your own stuff into. So much so that its been
> more than once abandoned by its authors.

linuxconf was fine until RH 7 - when it got broke

>> gui. Actually it was 5.2 that had all the goodies. It ran on 32 MB
>> RAM. And it ran wordperfect 5.1 perfectly under dosemu. It had a real
>
> I have, just like pretty much most of the world, no use for
> Wordperfect.

deah boy, my secretary has been using wp 5.1 from 1989 and refuses to
shift from it. She started out on a dos box, then doze 3.1, then
redhat 5.2 with dosemu - unfortunately when I tried wp in dosemu in
later versions of redhat it didnt work fully, so now she is on doze
98 in dos mode. I am trying to get all the keybindings to work under
wine in mandriva, in which case I will shift her back to the good and
true distro

>> good filemanager -yes, better than windows explorer. I have the cds,
>> so if you want to come and verify it - be my guest.
>
> Compared to what window manager ? Can it compete in a user
> experience to
> todays Windows ? Or are you still living in a time warp and only
> want to
> compare notes with what 'has been' ?

frankly speaking, I dont see any difference between the kde desktop I
have today with what I had in rh 5.2. Of course I am an old guy and
my needs are simple, so maybe it doesnt count.

--
regards

Kenneth Gonsalves
Associate, NRC-FOSS