On Thursday 01 May 2008, Kenneth Gonsalves wrote:
> On 01-May-08, at 10:20 AM, Raj Mathur wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> plone is hackproof
> >
> > I presume that statement is sheer flamebait, and is not intended to
> > have
> > any relationship with reality?
>
> you presume wrong on both counts. Plone is a highly mature and highly
> secure cms - far superior to any of the php things being bandied
> about. And nowadays, a basic plone install is dead simple.

...neither of which statements has any bearing on the ``hackproof''
label.  Please, either substantiate (which is impossible) or withdraw
the original statement, because we sure don't want to give people here
the impression that any reasonably complex piece of software can be
``hackproof''.  Least of all a CMS with known vulnerabilities (in other
words, it's been hacked, and I can provide proof... is that what you
meant? :)

In general, a piece of software may be more secure, it may have fewer or
no known vulnerabilities, it may be well written, it may be crafted
with security in mind, but you can nevertheless never prove that it is
completely secure.

When you discuss a moving target like a reasonably often-released CMS
the assertion becomes even more meaningless, since a presumed secure
package today may get bugs and vulnerabilities introduced into it in a
future version.

Regards,

-- Raju
--