2008/5/28 Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>. But do you care if you don't have to
> flash firmware from the software, but rather it is pre-programmed into
> the hardware. And what difference does it make, from firmware being
> loaded at runtime, or flashed at the time of manufacture ?

When it is loaded at runtime, the manufacturer has the ability to
modify but you don't have it. That is they restrict your freedom to
modify while keeping theirs - does not pass on all the freedoms
required by GPL. If it is pre-programmed into the hardware the
manufacturer is not in a position to change it - so he is passing on
all the freedoms he has got to you. Empowering user is what Free
Software is all about (this may not be the case if you are talking
about Open Source, which is about creating powerful and reliable
software).

Cheers
Praveen
--