[snip]

> I think you're right, but there're so many devices which requires
> firmware to be uploaded at runtime. I never thought that my Intel
> ethernet card requires a non-free binary blob to function properly. I
> thought I am running a complete free software (binary blob-free except
> BIOS) based system. Anyways, I've switched to use Realtek NIC although
> I'm still using a _cheap_ Yamaha sound card, which requires binary blob
> :( .

ashish, i didn't realize that the linux kernel would have these blobs
inside it either, until i learnt about linux-libre.  yup, i use an
el-cheapo yamaha sound card too.

> Anyways, how about listing some hardware (like NICs, Sound Cards,
> Printers, etc.) which requires binary blobs at some wiki, hmm...?

good old debian and its wiki to the rescue. read through this, it
further clarifies the issue, and also lists software under inspection:
http://wiki.debian.org/KernelFirmwareLicensing

a more up-to-date page on the buzz surrounding the issue, with a list
of software removed:
http://forums.blagblagblag.org/viewtopic.php?t=4580

there's also talk to discuss this at the kernel summit.

okay, time for me to go check some popular new videos on youtube using
the flash plug-in in firefox, fiddle with that nvidia plug-in, listen
to some mp3, get that wireless router working, convert videos using
w32codecs, ffmpeg, xine, and even check this important legacy
software-utility under wine. . . [oops!]

;-)

100% freedom is a thing.

niyam