2008/7/17 sonika tyagi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> 1. 2.5Ghz/2.6 Ghz dual core processor ( is there a major difference in the
> speed of the two... as the difference in the price is pretty large).

Simple..more processor more power + faster processor more power.
However depending on your use power to money ratio can be decided.

> 2. two separate hard disks (making at least 250GB) for linux and windows,
> respectively. Are there any issues such as heating and speed with two
> separate hard drives on the laptop?
> The option I got was a 200GB SATA HDD (7.2k rpm) + 80MB PATA (5400 rpm) 2nd
> drive...I am a bit skeptical about the PATA drive!!!

SATA + PATA should not be a problem but having two drives would mean
fast battery drain.

> 3. 1X2GB SDRAM
> 4. 9 cell Li-ion bettery
> 5. 8X DVD RW
> 6. 6MB L2 Cache with 800MHz FSB

This all looks okay.

> 7. blue tooth
> 8. wi-fi etc.
>
> Which audio/video, wireless network cards are the best with Linux ?

Which wireless card? I would avoid BroadComm but then many other do
not work. 8-)

> Should there be any other issues you know of and would like to share?
> More advise/suggestions are welcome on the spec!!

Dell does Linux pre-loaded go for that as then they/service can not
say we do not know linux. Although the pre-loaded flavour of linux s
some god awfull version from Taiwan.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.