On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM, sonika tyagi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all...need some help!
Hello,

> 1. 2.5Ghz/2.6 Ghz dual core processor ( is there a major difference in the
> speed of the two... as the difference in the price is pretty large).

2.5Ghz is good enough. 2.6 costs an aweful more for 100mhz.

> 2. two separate hard disks (making at least 250GB) for linux and windows,
> respectively. Are there any issues such as heating and speed with two
> separate hard drives on the laptop?
> The option I got was a 200GB SATA HDD (7.2k rpm) + 80MB PATA (5400 rpm) 2nd
> drive...I am a bit skeptical about the PATA drive!!!

why dont u take the second one as sata too??
> 3. 1X2GB SDRAM
> 4. 9 cell Li-ion bettery

Bad choice, if u ask me. 9 cell battery of dell is too heavy and
carrying around the laptop will prove quite a burden.
> 5. 8X DVD RW
> 6. 6MB L2 Cache with 800MHz FSB
> 7. blue tooth
> 8. wi-fi etc.
>
> Which audio/video, wireless network cards are the best with Linux ?
>
> Should there be any other issues you know of and would like to share?

Try the live cd if u have access to a machine and see if it works before buying.

D Pranith Kumar,
Member, Technical Staff,
Mentor Graphics,
India.