On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 4:21 PM, Pranith Kumar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 7:58 AM, sonika tyagi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> > Hi all...need some help!
> Hello,
>

> > 1. 2.5Ghz/2.6 Ghz dual core processor ( is there a major difference in
> the
> > speed of the two... as the difference in the price is pretty large).
>
> 2.5Ghz is good enough. 2.6 costs an aweful more for 100mhz.
>
> > 2. two separate hard disks (making at least 250GB) for linux and windows,
> > respectively. Are there any issues such as heating and speed with two
> > separate hard drives on the laptop?
> > The option I got was a 200GB SATA HDD (7.2k rpm) + 80MB PATA (5400 rpm)
> 2nd
> > drive...I am a bit skeptical about the PATA drive!!!
>
> why dont u take the second one as sata too??
> > 3. 1X2GB SDRAM
> > 4. 9 cell Li-ion bettery
>
> Bad choice, if u ask me. 9 cell battery of dell is too heavy and
> carrying around the laptop will prove quite a burden.

I dont agree at all. I bought Dell Inspiron 1525,  three weeks before and it
is of 9 cell battery. It has 250GB hard disk and 3 GB RAM and I cant explain
how light is this.  It is even lighter than my friend's laptop from dell
which has 6 cell battery which they bought last year. I think with
advancement in technology Dell has made certain optimizations to make it
light in weight. And afterall 9 cell battery is going to give you more
backup than 6 cell battery and there is not going to be a much difference in
weight which should make you think about 6 cell.

> > 5. 8X DVD RW
> > 6. 6MB L2 Cache with 800MHz FSB
> > 7. blue tooth
> > 8. wi-fi etc.
> >
> > Which audio/video, wireless network cards are the best with Linux ?
> >
> > Should there be any other issues you know of and would like to share?
> >
> Try the live cd if u have access to a machine and see if it works before
> buying.

Ubuntu 8.04 works like a charm on my laptop for both wireless and wired
internet connection. However I never had a working internet connection with
ubuntu 6.06.

> D Pranith Kumar,
> Member, Technical Staff,
> Mentor Graphics,