On Tuesday 02 Sep 2008, Linux Lingam wrote:

> i spotted a linux-based asus eeepc 4gb with a 7" screen at a gadget
> shop, in a mall in delhi. they allowed me to fiddle around with it.

gadget guru, you caught this one a bit too late :)  The second gen
netbooks are already out in the Indian market though a bit more pricey.

> am quite impressed with the machine: what a beautiful and elegant
> interface to linux, even newbies to computers and the internet can
> use it. this netbook is easier to use than win or mac, thanks to the
> interface.
> does anyone own one yet?

I have one, as for the UI, Xandros has done a great job in customizing
KDE for this unit.  The other option is to install the eeePC Ubuntu and
the Ubuntu MID packages.  For the non geek user I would say stick with
what comes installed.  It does have an update feature and I was able to
update newer versions of the packages - the average gadget savvy user
should be able use the "update" UI.

The keyboard is a bit crowded - resolved in the 2nd gen. products.

> does it easily configure and use roaming internet access via a
> usb-dongle from tataindicom or reliance or other mobile net ISPs?

Tataindicom USB dongle works - tested in Delhi and Mumbai.

> fyi, they were selling it at rs 18,000 all inclusive, but the US
> retail street price is obviously less. what are the prices you've
> discovered here?

A couple of days ago I saw it discounted for Rs. 14.5K at a Lamington
Road store in Mumbai.

> it's wi-fi is quite impressive, good at catching weak signals, which
> other wi-fi devices could not catch in the same vicinity.
> am considering buying one for myself, for just regular netbooking.
> what do you say?

Have not experimented with the wi-fi yet.  From what I have seen the
WiFi UI does not have the capability to configure WPA/WPA2 settings - I
could have missed it though.

As more players enter the prices of the 2nd gen. models are likely to
come down.  ASUS started with 31.5K (incl. mandatory WinXP tax).
Others are already reporting prices around 21K.

--
Arun Khan