On Monday 08 Sep 2008, Naresh Narang wrote:
> > I've played about with the disk scheduler and the
> > buffering ratio
> > (/sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
> > and /proc/sys/vm/dirty_background_ratio) and that seems to
> > alleviate
> > the problem a bit, but it's still there, albeit much
> > less than before.
> > On the other hand, I could be totally wrong about the cause
> > of the
> > problem, and this could be mere symptomatic treatment.  So
> > anyone have
> > a clue as to why these freezes happen, or a better solution
> > for fixing
> > them?  The disk is otherwise writing at about 60MB/s (which
> > I presume
> > is OK for a SATA).
>
> See if you have disk cache turned off. If so turning ON disk write
> cache should alleviate this problem but you better have your box on
> UPS.

Hmm, that's an idea.  However, according to sdparm, cache is turned on:

Caching (SBC) mode page:
  WCE         1
  RCD         0

One issue could be that earlier (with 1GB of RAM) the amount of writes
that Linux was caching was enough to fit into the SATA cache, whereas
now with 4GB it's more than what the cache will handle.  Now I need to
test out this hypothesis by first figuring out how much cache the SATA
drive has... any clue?  All dmesg says is that the cache is enabled,
doesn't actually tell you the size.

> > Sys Temp:    +74.0°C  (high = +17.0°C, hyst = +43.0°C)
> > ALARM  sensor =
> > diode
>
> When I first saw my AMD CPU temp at 70 C I was alarmed too but I
> think it is "normal" for CPUs to have temp this high, since CPU is
> the hottest thing in the box, may be that is what your Sys temp is.
> No idea about AUX.

Nah, CPUs, like I said, are at 55C +/-5C (depending on how many bzip2's
I'm running to test the temperatures with :) .  Sys is something
else...

Regards,

-- Raju
--